Monday, March 22, 2010

The animated rabbit hole

I saw Alice in Wonderland this weekend. It was good, not great but not horrible either. I'm still attached to the 1980's classic with Carol Channing. I felt like that movie was a lot more disturbing and kooky than this new one. I was too young to realize that Ringo Starr was in this version as the Mock Turtle and sang my favorite song.

But I have to say that Jan Svankmajer's stop-motion animated 'Alice' has a special place in my heart. Dark, disturbing, bizarre, and not to be watched by children.

His work reminds me of another favorite stop-motion animation duo of mine, The Brothers Quay. Their music video to 'Are We Still Married?' has a certain Alice in Wonderland quality about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!