Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Movie Madness: German Expressonism

Every October I tend to indulge in scary movies more than usual. Having just watched a couple of interviews with Tim Burton, I've been inspired to start off my movie marathon with a few German Expressionism films and a few modern films that have been inspired by this dark genre.

Here is the list:

The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari
This film is what has inspired so many directors and is the essential example of German Expressionism. If you are going to watch it, make sure you are watching the original and not the remake. The best part of this film is the set. It is absolutely amazing.


Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht 
This 1979 film was inspired by the original 1922 version which is considered to be one of the original German Expressionism films.

The Crow
I'm embarrassed to admit that I have not seen this film yet. It came out when I was pretty young and my mom had a strict "No rated R" movies that was in place until I was 18.

Dark City
This was the movie that inspired Christopher Nolan's Inception. It seems appropriate to watch this movie in the dark with a glass of red wine.

The Golem
Another original German Expressionism film which was technically a four part series. Not much of the film remains, except for bits and pieces so I will most likely be watching what I can of it online. Did you know that a golem is actually a jewish mythical creature and not just a creepy looking thing that J.R.R. Tolkein came up with?


A list of other German Expressionism films and those it has inspired:

Schatten
Phantom
Phantom of the Opera
Nosferatu
Metropolis
M
Batman Returns
Edward Scissorhands
Alfred Hitchcock films

1 comment:

  1. I love your movie list. I just made a list as well on my blog: http://southern05belle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!